When you arrive in Tauranga on your cruise ship, you will dock on the edge of New Zealand’s most popular seaside resort of Mount Maunganui and across the harbour from Tauranga City, the region known as the Bay of Plenty.
It is aptly named with not only providing plenty of provisions to Captain James Cook on his inaugural voyage to this part of the world in 1769, but it today provides plenty to do for everybody who chooses to visit this fantastic region. Mount Maunganui is definitely one of NZ’s best kept secrets and the gateway to two of NZ’s most popular tourist attractions – Rotorua geothermal valleys and Hobbiton Movie Set.
So now that you have landed what do you think you may do with your time here?
Mount Maunganui – within walking distance you can:
- Walk the beautiful white sandy beaches or swim in the waves
- Try a new water sport of surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, wind surfing, jet skiing or parasailing
- Soak in our hot salt water pools and mineral springs
- Walk to the top of the Mount and enjoy fantastic views of our coastline
- Enjoy the local shops
Mount Maunganui area – try something adventurous:
- Blow karting or drifting
- Enjoy the Baywave aquatic centre with its wave pool
- Try skydiving, gliding or visit the aviation museum and try out the Jet flight simulator
- Maybe deep sea fishing, swim with dolphins, horse riding, white water rafting, kayaking, learn to surf, or golf.
Tauranga area – enjoy the arts? Visit the CBD:
- The Tauranga Art Gallery
- The Cargo Shed – arts & crafts
- Significant historical and cultural sights & heritage buildings
- Tauranga Historic Village
- The Tauranga Rose Gardens
- Mills Reef winery (about 10 min drive from CBD)
A little further away – visit our region’s best kept secrets:
- Kiwi 360 – learn and taste local NZ health products
- Experience Comvita – a virtual beehive with health and wellness benefits of Manuka honey
- Chocolate Factory tour from cacao beans to chocolate
- Spring loaded fun park with jet boat rides and off-road 4WD
If you’re not looking for a guided tour you may like to ask us about renting a vehicle and visit these attractions.